Lewes Road Brighton - Formal Consultation Launched
Brighton & Hove City Council have launched a formal public consultation process into the proposed improvements at Lewes Road. This process is aimed at gathering public opinion on the improvements to the road in the location that Jo was killed. The Trust have registered their support for the proposals in a letter to the City Council.
The Council have posted detailed information on their website, and have outlined the following benefits of the proposed scheme.
The proposals include changes to one of the city's most hazardous spots for cyclists – the Vogue Gyratory system near Lewes Road Sainsbury's. They also include:
- Wide bus and cycle lanes in each direction between the Amex stadium and the Vogue Gyratory.
- A continuous on-road two metre-wide cycle lane both north and south through the Vogue Gyratory system.
- Widening the shared pedestrian and cycle lane for 300 metres north of Coldean Lane.
- An enhanced cycle network to the north giving access to the Amex stadium and both universities.
- Extending the 30mph speed limit northwards to near the Amex.
It is hoped that the measures would:
- improve bus journey times by 30%
- increase bus passengers by 25%
- reduce the number of car journeys by 10%
- get significantly more people cycling
We encourage people to read the detailed proposals and to add their comments using the Council's online questionnaire, before the closing date of 25th May 2012.